Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A bit "preachy"

So I couldn’t think of anything to write about….but as I was sitting here, blank, Garth Brook’s “The Dance” came on. I don’t know about y’all, but I am one of Garth’s BIGGEST fans. (BTW, he is STILL some-kind-of sexy. I’d do him…theoretically, of course :-P) I was listening to it thinking ‘how true.’ I’m going through a bit of a rough patch right now (no need to be concerned…just something I’m dealing with). But, I am trying to look back and think “If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t change anything. I learned, I lived, I loved…and in the end that’s all that matters, right?” My heart may be hurting right now, but really, I have no regrets. Yes, “The Dance” rings true.

I’ve been having a teeny problem with my depression lately. The other day, I was reminded how vitally important it is to smile and say a kind word to people. Sometimes, we may not know what they are dealing with. Just having someone smile at them and say something nice might make their day. I’m not the best person to do this either, but I am going to make a conscious effort to start doing it. What can I say, I am still a work-in-progress.

Off on another tangent, while I am thinking of it. (Mind you, I am also preaching to myself here…because I KNOW that I don’t do everything right, by ANY means) There are some women, who shall remain nameless, that feel that “witnessing” involves cramming religion down other’s throats. Frankly, I believe that what they’re doing isn’t winning anyone to Christ, it is pushing people farther. Before you go chastising others, you might take a long look at your own lives. If you are wanting to witness and tell people about the love of Christ, you might try first doing it with your actions. You are sinners just as everyone else, you ARE supposed to be “different,” but that doesn’t involve you making others feel like the gum stuck to the bottom of your shoes. If we are to be followers of Christ, and strive to be like Christ, we can’t follow parts of the Bible and ignore others (I realize I have work to do in this department, too). I do believe that the Bible said to “Love your neighbor as yourself.” That means to love EVERYONE, not just the people in your clique. I also believe that God is going to be the ultimate Judge, so why are we spending so much time condemning others (all the while ignoring our own actions). We need to start living by example. That is all I will say. But here are some simple ideas for “loving” people…
1. Send a “thinking of you” card to a person going through a rough time.
2. Visit an elderly person at the Nursing home.
3. Send a gift-card anonymously from the local grocery store to someone in need.
4. Call a person that has an illness that has resulted in them being “shut-in.”
5. Holding a door open for someone just as a kind gesture.
6. Take brownies to someone new to the neighborhood.
7. When Valentine’s Day is near, take some generic v-day cards to the local high school and tell the office ladies to disperse them to student’s that wouldn’t normally get anything.
8. (Everyone Southern should do this anyways) Bake something for a family in mourning.
9. Sponsor a child for Christmas (and remember the REAL meaning of Christmas).

As I said, these are just some simple things that might just brighten someone’s day. This
world is going crazy, and everyone seems to be concerned only about themselves. It’s time we do something. What is the next generation going to be like??

I’m sorry if this post seems “preachy,” but it’s something that has been weighing on my mind lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment